MyAwesomeReads

My Awesome Reads

I'm a 19-year-old university student from the Netherlands studying Bio-Pharmaceutical Sciences. I love to read thrillers, mysteries, crime fiction, historical fiction and a whole lot more!

I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes

I Am Pilgrim: A Thriller - Terry Hayes

Title: I am Pilgrim

Author: Terry Hayes

Published: 2012

Pages: 890

Rating: 5 Stars (more if i could)

"A fantastic read: a big, solid, chunky, fast paced, rip-roaring thriller, the love child of a manic union between Jack Reacher and James Bond" - Manda Scott

Goodreads Summary:

"Can you commit the perfect crime?

Pilgrim is the codename for a man who doesn't exist. The adopted son of a wealthy American family, he once headed up a secret espionage unit for US intelligence. Before he disappeared into anonymous retirement, he wrote the definitive book on forensic criminal investigation.

But that book will come back to haunt him. It will help NYPD detective Ben Bradley track him down. And it will take him to a rundown New York hotel room where the body of a woman is found facedown in a bath of acid, her features erased, her teeth missing, her fingerprints gone. It is a textbook murder - and Pilgrim wrote the book.

What begins as an unusual and challenging investigation will become a terrifying race-against-time to save America from oblivion. Pilgrim will have to make a journey from a public beheading in Mecca to a deserted ruins on the Turkish coast via a Nazi death camp in Alsace and the barren wilderness of the Hindu Kush in search of the faceless man who would commit an appalling act of mass murder in the name of his God."

This book has been just  amazing. I heard about it from my roommate, who luckily shares my taste in books. Though I had never heard about Terry Hayes or this novel I read great things about it once I decided to pick it up. It's quite the read, with my version counting just shy of 900 pages, but I have never enjoyed a book this size as much as I enjoyed I am Pilgrim.

I loved how the book was paced and how I didn't get bored once while reading it. Even all the background information being fed trough the start of the novel grasped me and pulled me trough the pages at an astonishing pace. The characters were magnificently described and you really get to know them as the story progresses. The book houses some great plot twists and just keeps surprising the reader.

It's also scary as hell. All this could actually happen right now! Mister Hayes really knows a thing or two about suspense and sucking you into a story.

Just read it. That's about all I can say at this moment. I just finished it and it would have blown my socks of if I had been wearing any! I could keep on raving about how great this book is, but that wouldn't do it Justice. I definitely don't posses the best reviewing skills so I would just be Spoiling your fun. So just one last thing: Terry, Please continue writing these epic novels!